Academic Director: Margaret Reilly, DNS, APRN, CNE
CUNY School of Professional Studies
101 West 31st Street, 7th Floor
New York, NY 10001
Email Contact: Nursing@sps.cuny.edu
The online BS in Nursing (R.N. to B.S. in Nursing) program provides registered nurses with the academic credential necessary to help them advance in the field. Through the flexibility of online study, students of this program build on prior knowledge gained at the associate’s degree level, and explore pressing issues related to today’s changing global healthcare environment. The program is designed to assist students in developing intellectual curiosity and a spirit of inquiry essential to professional development.
Dedicated CUNY faculty and expert practitioners draw on the Essentials of Baccalaureate Education for Professional Nursing Practice by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing to help students develop and demonstrate competency in:
- Health assessment
- Leadership and management
- Nursing research
- Care of culturally diverse populations
- Global Health and policy issues
By building on prior learning, the curriculum prepares associate’s degree and diploma nurses for the increasingly complex and varied roles that they will be expected to assume. These include:
- Providing a safe environment for the delivery of care;
- Practicing nursing through a humanitarian, altruistic and philanthropic lens;
- Communicating effectively;
- Making sound clinical judgment;
- Working with an interdisciplinary team, including clients, families and other stakeholders; and,
- Effectively managing patient care to ensure best possible healthcare outcomes.
The RN to BS in Nursing at CUNY School of Professional Studies is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org).
In addition to the admission criteria for undergraduate degree programs, applicants to the online Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing program must meet the following criteria:
- Associate’s degree in nursing from the City University of New York or from a non-CUNY regional or nationally accredited credit-granting institution with an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- Nurses who hold a nursing diploma from a non-credit granting institution may also apply. Diploma applicants will be awarded 36 credits for their nursing education, if they have passed the NCLEX-RN and have an NYS RN license to practice, and will be required to complete 84 credits of coursework to be awarded the BS in Nursing degree.
- Current licensure in New York State as a Registered Professional Nurse, or eligibility to sit for the National Council Licensure Examination - RN (NCLEX-RN) - in New York State. Students who do not currently hold an RN license may apply to the program in the last semester of their pre-licensure program in anticipation of licensure. Unlicensed students who meet the eligibility criteria will be admitted on a case by case basis and will be required to obtain their RN license before beginning their second term in the program.
The online application requires students to complete a personal essay that will help us understand your educational goals and readiness to return to college.