Program Director: Dawn Picken
CUNY School of Professional Studies
119 West 31st Street, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10001
Email Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The mission of the Advanced Certificate in Project Management program is to provide online instruction to develop students’ capabilities for leading projects. By teaching students to apply globally recognized project management standards, techniques, and practices, the program seeks to respond to employer demand for people who can deliver projects of a specified scope, on time, and within budget, as well as to prepare students for roles as project managers in a variety of fields.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Project Management Advanced Certificate will be able to:
- Recognize project management practices and techniques across all phases of the project management lifecycle.
- Apply communication and leadership fundamentals to real world scenarios;
- Identify the fundamentals of project management software and how it can be used to manage project constraints;
- Interpret the importance of ethical project management and explain the implications of how these practices impact/influence projects.
Originally applied to fields such as engineering and construction, project management techniques are now widely used across numerous industries, including: information technology, product development, aerospace, manufacturing, energy and utilities, supply chain management, financial services, public administration, and many others. There is a current and growing demand within organizations for project managers who can control the triple constraints of project scope, schedule, and costs - to deliver what is required, on time, and within budget.
The Advanced Certificate in Project Management develops students’ knowledge of and ability to apply project management standards, techniques, and practices while studying within a rigorous academic framework. The program helps graduates pursue careers as project managers in fields such as: information technology, financial services, construction, management consulting, government, non-profit and health care.
- Gain comprehensive knowledge of project management practices and techniques;
- Understand communication and leadership fundamentals as they apply to real world problems;
- Learn the basics of project management software and how it can be used to manage the triple constraint; and,
- Recognize the importance of ethical project management and understand how unethical practices can lead to project failure.
The Advanced Certificate in Project Management will help program graduates who want to pursue careers as project managers in fields such as: information technology, financial services, construction, management consulting, government, non-profit and health care.
Online courses available:
Beginning in the spring 2013 semester, all courses in the project management certificate program are offered exclusively online. The online courses are provided asynchronously, which allows students to read course materials, participate in class discussions and complete assignments at their own pace each week of the semester. For more information about online learning at CUNY SPS, visit http://sps.cuny.edu/online.
Candidates for admission to advanced certificate programs must possess a bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 GPA or higher from an accredited undergraduate institution.